A scissor lift is a device that enables you to lift your car, motorcycle, or van. Due to the lifting and the associated better working height, maintenance work and repairs can now be carried out much better, faster and, above all, back-friendly. So if you are a bit skilled with your craft, a visit to the workshop is almost unnecessary.
Due to their narrow design, full-rise scissor lifts and truck scissor lifts are easy to maneuver even in confined spaces and also fit through the narrow aisles of high-bay warehouses. This increases productivity on-site and is generally characterized by a high load-bearing capacity and the large work surface on the platform.
But even if it is only about swapping summer and winter tires on your own vehicle, lifting platforms, especially mobile lifting platforms, are particularly suitable. The alternative to this would be a car jack - but the handling is always quite time-consuming and, with cheap brands, and extremely shaky and therefore dangerous matter.
For example, tire changes can be done quickly and easily. Especially in comparison to the workshop costs that would be incurred when changing tires, the purchase price is quickly saved again.
In general, the scissor lift is the most common type of lift used in repair works. They are characterized by their particularly high mobility and can be maneuvered from the platform. The compact lifting platforms fit easily through all standard doors and have non-marking solid rubber tires for indoor use as standard.
Even at full working height, the full-rise scissor lift can be moved to the next place of use. The high speed and the ability to climb make them an effective and powerful tool for car repair professionals.
Important considerations when buying a scissor lift
When buying a used full-rise or a truck scissor lift, please make sure that the associated maintenance book is completely stamped through, and not by chance by the company that sells the lift. If you really want to buy a 2-column scissor lift, be sure to check the spindles and the nut set for wear. Also, insist on a load run under the truck scissor lift and never buy a dismantled platform, after all, you will trust the device with your life later. Whoever thinks all of this is excessive: recently, a 2.2-tonne truck from an old 2-pillar scissor lift tipped over because the left lifting arm gave up because of torn threads in the support and locking nuts - material fatigue. The lift had been used by a small company and had not been operated with the required diligence.
The only way to avoid such incidents is to check all scissor lifts thoroughly before buying them. In any case, you should never buy a lifted vehicle without first having it checked by an expert for load compliance - even if the seller claims that the full-rise scissor lift has been properly maintained and regularly maintained.
After all, car accidents at work are not as rare as we would like it today, but a bit of empathy can help to prevent serious injuries from occurring. Unfortunately, this always costs something in terms of material resources or money - but for your health, nobody can put a price on it!
Special requirements for the car height
When using a full-rise scissor lift in a garage, don't forget the height, because in order to be able to stand comfortably underneath a full-stand scissor lift, a car has to be at 1.60 to 1.80m, then depending on the car you should have a good 1.70 to 2 meters of air, i.e. 3.20 up to 4 meters in total.
When the car is on a fully loaded scissor lift, you can of course always be sure to have it right. Before embarking on any operation with the full-rise scissor lift, move two or three times with your hand under the platform so that you remember how high everything is at this level - before starting work!
Only if all components are in perfect condition should they go up and down again. A damaged component would mean an unacceptable risk for staff and property underneath.
Full-rise scissor lift features:
- Easy steering
- Can be maneuvered even at full working height
- High speed and the ability to climb make them effective and powerful tools for car repair professionals.
- One of the most important features of a scissor lift is its intuitive, self-explanatory handling. The controllers are simple to understand and if you have not used a scissor lift before, then there is absolutely no problem here. You can see how it works from the operating instructions!
- In addition, good scissor lifts can reach speeds of up to 200/m / min without problems - this allows them to quickly get forward momentum in order to transport heavy loads up or down more easily after they leave or enter the truck platform from underneath.
Full-rise scissor lift advantages:
- Generally quite easy to use
- Can be stowed away in a spacious garage
- Wide operating range due to the high number of motor stages
- The full-rise scissor lift is generally quite easy to use. The standard is also a two-person lift, i.e. it can be operated by staff at different levels and inside and outside the vehicle during lifting or lowering operations without having a lot of additional costs for double staff in between for supervision purposes.
- In addition, most platforms are long enough to make the full extent of their travel from one end to the other even when it comes from underneath - this means that you can always load your car safely on the platform with no problems if you have enough space.
Full-rise scissor lift disadvantages:
- Can be very expensive because of the size and weight
- Installation costs can be high when it is built-in custom vehicles
- The biggest vehicles are not always available on request, which means that you will have to make several small orders and combine them later with a lifting system
- Because full-rise scissor lifts are so big and heavy, they do not just fit into any car. It all depends on what your requirements are for mobility and stability - but even if you don't want to move it every day, then this does not mean that there is no such requirement for stability! Because of the lift tips over while standing still, it's probably much more serious than when the vehicle is moving.
- In addition, large full-rise scissor lifts are also more expensive to buy in the first place and to install, but they do offer a much larger range of use in terms of upper and lower limits, and in this way you can really configure them individually.
- The biggest disadvantage: The delivery time for such an order is often several weeks because it all has to be built by hand - so one must decide carefully! If you don't want to run your business at any risk, then just request a free quote or trial. Of course, you can always compare prices with other providers if possible before you start looking for suppliers - whether online or offline!
Who is allowed to operate a full-rise scissor lift?
Independent operation of the lift is permitted to any person who
- Has reached the age of 18
- Has been fully instructed in the operation of the lift
- Has proven the ability to service the lift
Do I need a license to operate the lift?
You do not need a separate driver's license to rent a lifting platform. However, if the lift is installed in a vehicle that requires a driving license, then it must be operated by someone with the appropriate driver's license.
Why are scissor lifts important for car repair shops?
Scissor platforms are essential when working on vehicles at different heights because they guarantee maximum safety when performing maintenance work or repairs underneath the chassis. The height of the platform determines which parts can be accessed without having to raise or lower heavy components.
How much does a scissor lift cost?
The price of individual equipment depends on its size and complexity. Some instead prefer to use more affordable electric forklifts as lifting platforms - these products generally do not offer such good stability and fall protection features but make up for this with the low investment costs.
How far can I lift my vehicle?
The container height of each device dictates how high you can lift your car - if you want to stand up on the platform, then at least 1.27 meters is required for this purpose (depending on the manufacturer). Then there must also be enough space between the car and the ceiling to enable movement inside the machine with its full extent of travel.
Where are scissor lifts used?
This is not just important in workshops where larger vehicles are repaired/refurbished, but also in industrial applications where routine tasks such as cleaning or assembly work need to be performed above an adjustable working height. A good example would be old industrial machines that require accuracy and utmost safety for work even in confined spaces.
What is the maximum load capacity of a full-block scissor lift?
For this purpose, we must first define which lifting platform we are talking about: A general obligation platform with barely equipped controls and general low-security features can only carry up to 500 kg safely. If you want to be able to use your device without restrictions, then it would be recommended to choose a machine with at least 1,000 kg load capacity.